Saturday, January 28, 2023

Scissors!!!

 Because I got a new one! Yaaayyy!

Being a dressmaker means, that one has a special relationship to scissors, especially those we use to cut fabrics with, right? 
The first scissor I keep (no picture of it, because it is pact away) is the scissor my maternal grandfather used to cut the leather, as they were making shoe tops, or rather tops for those wood soled slippers and clogs that were such a height in fashion over here in the seventies. After their death, I asked my mom for it, but it was in shambles, and it is broken and only half of it exists now, but I keep it. 
The next one...
I got these, when, after graduating from highshcool, I went that special technical school to learn dressmaking. The forewoman of the shift I was doing my practice period gave it to me. It is smaller than the average scissor, and by now it isn't working well on fabrics, but I still use it on paper, I cut my patterns with these.
I bought these after I finsied the technical school, and dived into sewing properly, so I have a special, sentimental love for it. I took it with me when I lived in the US, I cut a number of crazy clothes with them... Unfortunately, I must have cut on a metal pin, or something, becase there is one small point on its blade that is dull... I can still cut with it, especially thinner fabrics, or one-2 layers, but for more serious stuff it isn't the best.

This next one I bought to replace the previous one, but it was a bad choice. 
While its blade is okay, its handle is uncomfortable. I don't like it. It is Fiskars, okay, but I bought it in a market in the US, and with a hindsight might be either not "fabric scissor", or it might by just a copy, or something. 
Anyhow, I made do with these three for many years, often thinking that once I will get a new one. In fact I did made a decision in the fall of 2020, when I made Eva's wedding dress, that once she paid, I will make part of that money and buy that scissor I am dreaming of, but somehow it did not happened. 

This time, I had no particular reason, other than doing the Aidah gown, but I had enough of struggling with the scissor, and while a friend asked me to go with her to the sewing machine store, I decided to get the biggest Fiscars scissors they had. 
(this how it looks like along with the old, thirtysome years old one). I love it, it cuts several layers of fabric nicely, without a hitch.

The orange scissors have a special pleace in this house... I mean, we all know, fabric scissors shouldn't be used for anything else (the least o fall paper cutting), and the rule is that noone else can touch the orange handled shears but me. There are a bunch of other ones, black, blue handled, flowery blad, even one with red and white polka dots, they are all fair game (until they get back to their places after use), but using my orange handled scissors carry a death penalty. Not a hard rule, and my darlings are safe this way. 


No comments: