Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Truly Victorian Reverie Bodice (TV449)

This bodice / jacket was long in the making. Started it around Xmas time in 2021, hoping to finish it to our annual Sisi even in the Gödöllő castle. It didn't happened, even though I did spent considrable amount of time of the family celebrations sitting in the corner and sewing, still, we didn't got back in time to put in the sleeves. 

I wore my old, velvet Hungarian dress, which I hated (see the blogpost on my new Hungarian bodice), and then before the summer lost just enough weight that it would not fit me anymore without serious rework (I.e taking the handsewn boning channels out and take it in at the sides.). 

Unfortunately I did gain back some of the weight, and the Xmas even got closer again, so I decided to finish it up, but this time - since the soutache thing went so well on the Hungarian bodice- add more than a simple edging for decoration- and then again, I did spent considerable amount of time of the family celebrations, sitting in some corner and sewing - this time silver ribbons, all 8 meters of it, instead of boning channels. 

 The velvet was a leftover piece of factory reject, crumpled and dirty on the shelves of ILoveTextile, with a paisley print that could be only seen close up, but it was just enough for this bodice. I used the leftovers of my ballgown to do the lapels, cuffs, and the turned out thingies at the back, to tie it with the skirt, that is used in the third set, the third variation now. 


The pattern was Truly Victorian's Reverie Bodice (TV449). It went together pretty easy, and needed minimal adjusting at fitting. I am not sure about the instructions, as I remember reading them once, when I started this, then promptly putting it away. I used an old, stripy cavas for lining, I brought it back from the US many years ago, and the historical flatlining tecnique. Sewn the major seams with the machine, but all the finishing are by hand (even sewn the boning channels on by hand).

I use this bodice / jacket with the corset and corsetcover I made , and also a pair of sleeves, I am not posting separately. 
And here it is at he event itself:




Photos: Norbert Varga @bodeszphoto

(Detail pics from my phone)



No comments: