Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Decisions, decisions...

 I've been wanting to do a historically adequate, Outlander inspired set for about forever... or since the series first came out... no, I've seen it a couple of years later, so let's say, ever since I saw it. I knew there are some substantional knitwear, on which I also started, though only got to the cowl, and I did made the shoulder-piece, but not photographed it -yet. The shawl is next on my list, but will see, when I get around to it...

Anyhow, there are a few things, to note before getting into the project. I do NOT want a fully screen-accurate copy, I want something that is historically accurate, or rather historically adequate (as full historic accuracy is not attainable anyhow), and evokes the mood of Outlander.
Especially, considering the fact that most of my historical clothes (up to now) are blue, and even though there are other colors in my plans, I do want to keep the blue as a signature color. 

There is a reenactment event at the end of February, of which I am planning to attend... but February is still winter, and though, with proper undercothes I could do with the red dress (after all, I did went to skating in it), some thicker skirt and a jacket might be more appropriate... and since there is not many 18th century event around here, where could I wear that, than at an event, where the dresscode is "wear something historical"...

So, while I am waiting for the fabric I want to use for the Aidah gown drying, I am planning the next project... and doing a little digging in my fabric stash. 
First of all I have this braun / grayish blue/ black (rather very dark blue though) tartan-ish fabric for a skirt
and I meant to use this blue twill with it.

(it is the same navy blue fabric, just the lighting and the phone camera playing around). 
However, is it lue enough? I remembered that I did pick up some blue tartan-ish, plaid-ish fabric, that is more blue than the one above...
I climbed up on the ladder and loo and behold, there it was, exactly, where I thought. But while I was up there a rusty, orangey-reddish, brick- colored wool fell out...
Which looked suprisingly well with the blue plaid... So well, that made me thing...hmmm. 

I've seen an orange 18th century jacket on Katherine's instagram, which I loved (and there is a you-tube video about making it also...) so there is my dilemma, go for the look that is more Outlanderish, or go for the one that is more outlandish? 
And there is one more option, mix and match the two thing and go for the blue plaid with the blue jacket:
So there you, choices, choices, choices, 
What do you think? which one would you choose? 

(Claire photos from the internet, fabric photos from my phone).


No comments: