Monday, February 13, 2023

Bombed

 My sewing room, that is. 

Back in a while , when I asked what should I write about, you said anything... so here you go.

I had enough of having stuff, but not being able to use it, because it is piled up in boxes. Those moving boxes Kika (the furniture store almost across the street) selles, worked well, but the ones bought later (after Kika was sold, and became the "Sex-store" -well, actually, it is a part of another furniture store chain, that goes by the name of XXXL Lutz... which completely sounds like a name of a sex-toy-store, and we call it just that in between us. Imagine when I ask my son, "Hey, sweetie, do you want to have a lunch at the sex store?" LOL) (They do make a fair enough wiener Schnitzel).... anyhow, the boxes XXL Lutz sells, though the same sice and style, does not hold up to use like the old Kika one. Packed on each other (full of fabric) they started to crumple, and every time I went close I was afraid of the whole pile falling on me. Besides, no use to storing fabric stash, if I cannot get to it easily, right?

So in the midst of testing the Aidah gown, I decided to buy a shelf, that came a week earlier than expected. Norbert being Norbert wanted to put it together at once (the man does not know the meaning of future tense). So when do I drag half a fabric store worth of stuff across the flat? About 4-5 times? When I would need to sew. Right. 

However, to fit the shelf in, I would have had to taken out a small cabinet kind a piece, that used to be part of my father's writing desk. I grew up with my dad working on it. When we moved from one flat to another (being a military kid, we moved surprisingly few times)he bought a big, colonial style desk, and I inherited his. I loved it and had it in my room ever since. The writing desk/board part itself is gone by now, at one round of flat rearranging PJ managed to get rid of it somehow (well, he knew I loved that old dask, and he hated- I guess still hates- my dad), but I still have the pieces that held those board. 

Anyhow, as much as I loved that desk, I had to resign to take it out of my room, in order to make space for the shelves (and get rid of the danger of those boxes falling on me). I told N, we could take it down to his father, who lives in a house in the country, and probably could use it in his workshop, so it would not be literally threwn out, but still used. 

Spent a couple of days taking all the fabrics out, Getting the shelf in, going through those boxes and decide what should stay, what should be taken down to the cellar, what should be threwn out (NOT farbric, mind you), and starting to full the shelves, including those fabrics, lying around in bags, and piles. 

At the end, with leaving out what I am planning to use in the near future, what was left was just enough to fill that small cabinet. 


That was when I hauled out those fabrics yet again, and we started desparately to measure and calculate. The thing is that the only reason it did not fit was that I changed my old serger (interlock), and the new one had a bigger table. What if we turn this that way, and slide that one there, can we gain a few centimeters if we... 

Until it all fit. Okay, Now, I have less space at my interlock, but I rarely use it anyway. I still has a small space besides of the regular sewing machine (sewing big dresses, it is not a disadvantage), and my old household Neumann I use for buttonholes got dug out from under the pile of fabrics and other stuff too. Yesss! I cannot tell you how glad my heart was to be able o hold on to that small piece of my childhood. And have a space to put the steam producing part of my iron, and have it NOT to take up third of my ironing board. 

You would think that was enough, right? By then my back was hurting like hell, I was limping, my arm-musle with the misterious pain flared up. But I still took the ladder, and took down everything from the shelves above the machines.  It was put up by PJ, let's not talk about the quality of the shelves themselves, I wish I could take it down and change it to a more stable one, but at the moment I cannot. It still works though and those bits of stuff I store there (boxes with buttons, zipps, ribbons, and such) is not that heavy. However, it was not rearranged / cleaned properly in ages... You really don't want to know the stuff I found there. Like tags to a brand I sewd for before Chris was born. Stuff that came home wih me from the US (in the nineties). Shall I go on?  Now I took down and went through everything, purged what was there made order in the rest of the stuff, and got them back up. 

Now, things are back on track, the sewing room is much better organized now. So much better feeling to go in. Of course, there are still things that could be improved, and it is nowhere near to the sewing rooms you can see online, but that is for now. 

Back to regular programming (is there such a thing?) with the next post. 


No comments: