Monday, March 15, 2021

Turqoise stripes

Do you remember when I spun these yarns in January? 

Not long after, I went to Ági's workshop, and wove them. 

As I said in the post about the yarn, the plan was to weave some fabric, from which I want to sew something. 
Ági usually says that the loom that had the petrol warp is for persons, who are taller than 165 cm, and I am only between somewhwere 163 and 164, so I only scratch the limit from under, even so officially 164, but probably because that seemed like a "standard" height, most Burda patterns are made for that height too).
Anyhow, I am somewhat smaller than suggested it does take an effort for me to weave on that loom, I do have to pull the loom on me, and admittedly, by the end of the day my back hurt like hell. 
I did managed to weave a piece that is somewhat longer than 3 meters of about 60 cm wide,  so it could be enough for a lot of things. 
I have not really decided what to make out of it. I do have a couple of things in my mind, something modern, lagenlook-ish, or something historically inspired, like an 18th century jacket or caracao, that cut on the bias to play with the stripes. 
At the very end I tried to use up all my yarn and added a some length with a slightly different rythm, thinking it would look good as a collar, maybe a pocket, or something. 
The stripe sequence pretty simple, as I had just about the same amount from the two corriedale, and a lot less from the silk, so there was a dark stripe, a thin one, and then only a narrow line (two "rows") from the silk. 
I think, this is the time, where I usually way poetic about weaving with handspun yarn... And this time will be no different. 
Just look at it closely. Click in the picture and enlarge it. 

I mean LOOK at it. If you do, you will see, that no two line of thread is exactly the same. 

One could be every so slightly thicker, the other might have ever so slightly more twist. Or I turned the roving / top while spinning in a way that more shiny fiber got into the yarn. Or...or... these tiny-tiny differences never cease to enchant me.
Still, the woven fabric is even and somehow unified, not to mention absolutely unique. Since the yarns were spun from corriedale fiber, it is not as soft as a merino could be, but, one, I am not *that* sensitive to wool, and second I did not mean to use it next to the skin.
 The loose threads were fixed... now, for this I whined about three weeks that even though I spent the last year rearranging my flat in order to have a sewing room, I still cannot get close to my sewing machines, then spent half a day or so putting things aways, taking stuff out -including a couple of rounds to the redcross containers-, etc, to get to the sewing machine, spent a couple of hours to get my industrial double needle into woeking order (at the moment it is uttrely hopeless to get that close to my trusty Neumann), then I spent about two minutes running through those ends with a zig-zag stich.
 I washed and ironed, and the wool softened a little bit...never mind the creases, It spent a day in a bag, while we took to have the photos shot, I will iron them again, before cutting it... if I ever figure out what to make out... It may take the while, but when I do, I will be back to pull yet another skin, umm post of this project. 
If you would like to spead up this process and / or you have any idea or suggestion about what t make out of it, well, don't jold back. The owner of the best idea may even get a small present from me. 
Workshop photos: Ágnes Dénes
Other photos: Norbert Varga. 
Fiber: World of Wool

No comments: