Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Mis' teacher, I did my homework! (Weekly spinning... or what).

 Whem I was in shcool, I hated to prepare. Prepare for classes, doing homework, whatever, I did not like it. Lately I found, that preparing for things, lengthens the joy. Back, when we had the victorian ball, the months leading up, the anticipation, learning the dances, making the dresses made it an adventure lasted, no only for the six hours or so, while it actually went on, but for months. 

Also, the further I go "back", in making something, the more I feel it is mine. 

Yes, going to a weaving workshop, and grabbing some yarn, is already a lovely way to make something, but weaving something from a yarn that I dyed... or what is more, spun myself, gives an unparalleled deep satisfaction. 

Now, you all know my infatuation with colors, and the my forever love for red, and the new-ish pink period (don't worry, there are more things I want to show you in those colors too), but it is the middle of January, and I hate winter. I don't wear much green as it is, but by now, I have a deep desire for greens and blues, in my wardrobe too, and what colors unifies those better that turqoise and petrol? 

So, when I saw the warp Ági has on one of the loom in her workshop, that is petrol-green to me, pine green to her, I knew I want to work with that color. And not a shawl, but some fabric to sew with. I love the texture of a pink shawl I woven from a single ply handspun yarn (BTW I have new pictures of it, do you wanna see them???). 

So I odered some fiber from England (while I could. In fact I ordered a bunch of other stuff to, to dye, but those are for later) a roving from carded (and not combed) corridale, and a combed top mostly also from corriedale, but has some shiny fibers carded into. , along with some sari silk. 

First I spun the carded roving. Now we all know that one will never spun a perfectly smooth yarn from anything that is carded, my aim was to have a consistent yarn, despite of the actual bumpiness of it. 



Then I spun the combed top...Since this was combed, not carded, it was easier to spin it not only consistenly but more smoothly. I also had the aim, to spin these to more or less to the same thickness, which means they should be similar length. I ended up with 20 meters differece between the two hanks (620 and 600 meters for each 100 grams fiber). I guess that's pretty close, right?


And finally I spun half of the sari silk (I left the other half, so I will have some to card in batts, when I decide to take out my drumcarder again).
I plan to use this as an effect yarn, so nor smoothness, sor consistency was needed, , and I do love the crazy, tweedy effect. 

Corriedale is not the finest, softest wool, so we will see how the fabric, I am planning to weave will turn out. But they do look good together.



No comments: