Thursday, January 7, 2021

My old love... RED.

 Whoever thought, based on my previous note that fronow on there will be only pink stuff posted wwas wrong. Very wrong.  I would not say goodby to my old love, RED either. 

I loved red ever since I was a small girl. I wore red so much, that a friend of my dad called me "Little Red" (much like the little red riding hood,  without the riding I guess). Now, turns out that red suits my silver hair even better than it did the red one. 

And ever since I started weaving, I wanted a red shawl. A real red one, not something "red-ish", but red warp and red weft. 

No wonder, I got really antsy, when I found out that Ági's new workshop there will be a loom with red warp. I have so many plans, I could move in there. 

However, I wanted to start with something simple. I had this hank of yarn dyed in shades of red left from the last day of wool, I knew I will not keep it for the next event, but I will weave something for me from it.



Also, I keep a box full of "strange yarns", or call them effect yarns. I have no idea why, because I do not use such things for knitting... hoewer, there was a small ball of silver thread, with thicker silver and black... parts. 


I really did not want to overcomplicate stuff. All I did is a simple 1x1 weave, and the silver thread thrown in at regular interwalls. 

As a yarn dyer and spinner I like simple weaves, ones that let the yarn take the center stage. 

Not only that, but I feel my life is complicated, and unorganised as it is, I need weaving to be simple and orderly. For now at least.
Just throwing the shuttle from left to right, and right to left gives me joy and satisfaction. 


And so is seeing the simple shawl in a simple surrounding. 

While weaving, I loved seeing, how the tiny differences in the colorshades played up. 
And how evenly did the thicker parts of the effect yarn placed themselves, with very little help from me. 
For once I managed not to overshot for the length. Usually I always make these shawls just a little too long, but I did kept this just the right length.
Not too long, not too short.

And more pictures, just because I can't get enough of them.







Photos: Norbert Varga
Yarn: Peony67 handdyed

No comments: