Monday, July 26, 2021

Hello 18th century, part 1. Why and how

 There are still a couple of stuff, and some events I have not posted about, and I will get to them too... but now...

Now, here is a rare sight into my thought process, as sometimes how and for what stupid reason stuff gets made around here. LOL.

I've been wanting to do 18th century stuff forever now. I even have literally everything to make not one, but a number of dresses, skirts, jackets (shorter pierrot jackets as well as longer caracao jackets). Everything from materials through notions to pattens. But somehow, it always got pushed back, mostly for lack of time. 

In my favorites (among some very pretty blue dresses, there are some red ones too. I did had an exchange about how red dresses weren't a thing in the 18th century, but I had this  blogpost saved just to prove the opposite. And it didn't even have some of my favorites...

Like this one from the MET museum.

Or this one from the Museum of New Zealand.
Or this one from a belgian museum, that for some reason especially makes my heart beating faster...
And then I found this fabric at the cheap fabric store called I Love Textile.
Of course, right away I noted how similar its pattern is, and of course I bought a few meters of it. Then in the window of one of the chinese stores I saw some poppies, and in my mind it popped up, how lovely a bergere hat (so fashionable i the 18th century) would look like with a bunch of poppies and the red dress, which will be made...one day. So I checked E-bay (oh, they do have it, but it is pricey, especially if you add the shipping cost), I checked Amazon (same there), I even looked at Nehelenia, which at least would save me the hassle with the new custom-craze at the post, but well, it is still way too expensive). I have read so many post about remaking cheap hats, so I thought it would be high time I've tried it. 
And that was the point, when the penny dropped, that my reenacting teammate, Andrea will get married at the end of july, and their dress-code for the afterparty said "wear something historical". Sure, I do have a ton of histprical stuff, but I have quarantined out of most of them, and in addition after 4-5 years I am slowly getting bored of my wardrobe. A new dress could be a welcome addition, right? So I rushed in the store to get those poppies, but they only had a couple of those left. However, by that time I have decided to try and make the ensemble, and the devil may care about the fact that there is only one and a half week left until the wedding?
Furthermore we all know, that when we talk about historcal clothing, its never only a "new dress". For a new period, one need new underwear, new stays/corset, and who knows what else. Luckily I managed to get out of sewing a chemise, as last year I got a linen "dress" from FB. (I showed it to Norbi ever so proudly, as it was hanging in the doorway between my bedroom and living room. "Doesn't it looks like a tenti undershirt (tenti, as athentic, historically accurate)? But of course, that is why I bought it. 

As for the stays, doing a victiroan corset not so long ago opened my eyes, and made me braver, I still asked for help in the fitting from my friend Tilda. 
So that is what happened before.
To be continued, all right? 

ETA: Now after a couple of months later looking back I have no idea, how the hungarian and the English text got mixed up. Now its corrected, and the whole post is in English. 

No comments: