Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bleeding yarn!

I had my shares of dealing with bleeding fabric, but never with bleeding yarn
I am knitting the clapotis I just did the tenth repeat of the straight rows. I am using this hand dyed cashmere/alpaca yarn The color has more pink and dark purplish red , and as soft as it is, it is bleeding!!! I have two stripes on my left index fingers, and on my right hand all the tips are dark pink!!! II will have to soak it to block it, and i was wondering if I can do anything to stop the bleeding. I mean if the color transferred to my fingers, what will it do to my neck? Or if I wear it over a white shirt? Anyway, do you think putting some vinegar in the soaking water could help? Salt? (I can't get MORTON salt here) What else can I do? DUH. And I thought I am doing so well with that clappie...

3 comments:

Brussels Chronicles said...

I always heard vinegar but never actually tried it... This is something which would annoy me a lot !

Tikkagirl said...

White vinegar will certainly work. Just add a glug to whatever water you soak it in to block it. Then soak it again in clean water if you want to get the smell out. I, unfortunatly, have had this happen with my own hand-dyed yarn. I haven't tried salt.

That is brave of you to knit the Clap as a knitting badge. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Anonymous said...

That yarn sure was knitting up in a way that I wouldn't have expected from seeing the skein! Odd. :) Definitely white vinegar should do the trick.