Friday, April 30, 2021

Scrappy rainbow

Now this is something I've done a while ago, bit never showed it here. A circle cardigan, from leftover scraps of sockyarns. 

Right, sockyarns again.  I know, but I love the stuff, I am often enchanted by the colors, and I can't leave even small bits in second hand stores. I love the miss-matchy mood of things done from leftover bits . There are some amaaahhazing scrappy socks to be found. And some cool cowls, including mines, that I showed earlier, and more will be done, hopefully in the future. 
And I have this circle dardigan. I've started it about three years ago, not long after i finished my first neck-warmer. Circle cardigans are pretty, and fun, but they take a lot of knitting. A lot. Even more from sockyarn.
I've been knitting this literally for years. I have put it away, taken it out, knitting around and around, in circles that kept growing longer and longer.  
I have tried to keep the main colors of the yarn in rainbow-ish order.
The pattern is pretty simple, start with 8 stitches, in the first row knit 2 stitches into each stitch, and put a marker after every other one. Now keep knittin on teh round, making a yarnover after each marker, in every other row. When you run out of one yarn, just tie on the next one and keep knitting. 
When your piece is about as wide as your shoulder, make two armholes (For marking out: we can look for a pattern for a similar circle cardigan, and see the main ratios, or take the top half of your circle, and divide into three. The stitches in the middle will be the neck, the other two the armhole. In the next round cast off the stitches for the armhole, on both sides, in the following round cast on as many stitches as were cast off over the armoholes. keep knitting, and when you think your circle is big enough, knit about 8-10 cm wide with garter stitch (keep increasing as before.). Knit the sleeves, no particular pattern either, cast on anough stitches, knit back and forth, or on the round, as you like. I knitted back and forth, because I hate knitting the second sleeve more than sewing a sleeve up, so... 
Increase under the sleevs enough so your arms will fit into them comfortably. 
The top of the sleeves are decreased as most sleevs, go look for a good looking pattern in like the DROPS library and copy that. Or something, LOL. Sew up the sleeves (if not knitted on the round), and seew them in the armholes. Weave in ends.
Block the heck out of it, and use a shawl pin made by your friend to pin it together. 
(Yes I know, it is a bit too small, but thanks to thyroid problems, I keep gaining weight, even with eating less than 1200 calories a day. )
 
Finally, get your boyfriend to make some photos of you. 
(Phew, and I have the sixth post for this month in. Yay, I am good. Am I?) 

No comments: