Wednesday, April 10, 2019

In the heat of the moment trip: Prague.

We have been talking about going to Prague since we've known each other. And now after I've been pronounced clear after a healthscare, N had almost a week off, and I had most of my work done, and no reenactment event scheduled. We looked at eac other arund noon on Wednesday and said let's go away somewhere... where to? How about Prague? Okay. I can pack in half and hour. And that is what we did.

We arrived pretty late at night, but N still wanted to show me the bridge and the castle/burg, so we set off and walked a bunch, before we've got to bed in the hotel. And added to it the next day.

When we went up to the castle during the night, we just could not get close to the church, but the next day we've found out why... the whole place is closed off and you are searched and have to go through a metal detector gate to get in.. but when you do... first you see this...

 Then this...
 And crossing a passage, you look up and see this, and your mouth fells open... The St Vitus Cathedral.
 Going in there are coloful lights


Another thing that fascinated me the astonomical clock... I have seen pictures of it before, and I knew it IS the oldest woking such clock... Time and clocks interest me as it is, and this was, juts gorgeous. 


It was also interesting to see the people gathering around at full hours to see the works, but then the passage of the apostles were a bit of dissapointment, as I somehow expected more. 
Walking around the city we noticed that they sell the chimney cake (that we know as a transylvaian -basically hungarian- specialty, filled with icecream or whipped cream. Almost on every street, and/or corner somebody sold them, and almost everone had one in their hands. We've tried them, checked off teh list, but they weren't as good as expected... 
The city as beautiful, and it does have a lovely historical feeling to it. 




Closed the day with more than 40000 steps on the stepcounters.
But to be honest, unlike with cities like Rovinj or Verona, or even London, I did not feel the desire to live there. As N put it so eloquently, it is like a giraffe... it is pretty nice and cool, but I would want it at (umm in ou case for) home. 
Photos: Norbert Varga

No comments: