Thursday, September 24, 2026

Time for socks....

So, we are back from Prague (too), and though we still have an international event to go, it is much closer, and shorter, than the Italianor the Czech trip was.

I am trying to get back to a more regular rutine, which also means, more regular posting...

Also the time is here, when I start to change my short, cotton socks to handknitted ones. 

Yes, I wear my socks. I wear my handknitted socks from the end of September, until about April, continiously. (and yes, I do wash them, in fact, I wash them in the washing machine. That is the only handknitted item I put in the machine, everything else gets washed by hand.

Anyhow... new socks. I started them earlier this year (much earlier, like in january, or maybe even last year???), because short, modern socks are things I can knit in the car, even in the dark (yes, I knit the historical stockings in the car as well, but during the daytime, as they need to be shaped, so looked at, at least once every round- though I did become much better of that too - meaning, keeping track of the zig-zag -and the connected decreases- in the dark, but then, that is a topic for another post). 

While we stayed in Prague, I got to the point with the (historic) stockings I am working on, where it needs light, and attention (turning the heel and picking up the stitches for the feet), and I was too tired on the way home, so I dug out the modern socks I stopped working on months ago. It seemed less of an efford to pick up the stitches and trying to figure out where I was with them, than turn the heel of the historic stockings. (Also, I am running out of the DPN's I am using for socks and stockings, I needed to free up some). 

I could see the advantages of having a system for knitting these simple socks a standard way of doig them, so I could easily find my way back, even after months of neglect.

Thus happened, that two pairs of short-ish socks, the ones that go into my fall shoes, and shorter boots, got finished. 

Actually nothing special abot them, both of them were made from leftover yarns I keep picking up in the second hand shop, they are not simmetric, as the Yarn Harlot says, they are fraternal twins.
Both have their toes, heels and cuffs from a different, solid color, I found going well with the colorscheme of the base-yarn. 
Yarn: random, unidentified sockyarn.
Needles: 2,25 Knit Pro.


No comments: