Saturday, September 14, 2019

Regency or Napolenic / Jane Austen era daydress project - part 1.Inspiration

So now that I bored you all out of your heads with pictures of the events our group went to (I still not caught up with them) I felt little bit of distraction would be nice, for you and for me as well.
Over the last two years I have sewn a number of historic dressen, but have not shown much from the process... This is a crafty blog after all, so I thought its high time for that, don't you think?
The reason for this project is that our group was invited to Palmanova, Italy for a reenactment event set in the time of the Napoleonic wars. According to the article of the organisers, it is supposed to be 1809, when the city was occupied by the french. Our team will represent the civilian population (along with many international military reenactment group).
I already have a white dress (actually it is light pink dottet, but that can only be seen from up close) that is so typical for the era, that could be used either for daywear or evening wear (depending on the accessories), and an underdress/ overdress combo for evening wear and balls. But I am a woman after all, any excuse is a good one to have a new dress isn't it?

The inspirations for my daydress comes from somewhat earlier, Because of my silver hair, I will represent the older generation, I can get away with stuff that is a bit old fashioned, not to mention it is wartime, the city is occupied by the enemy, they might not had access for to new stuff.

The first time I bumped into the group I joined later (Mare Temporis), they were preparing for a regency ball. Even though I did not went to that ball (long story, maybe for an other time), I was in love with some dresses of the era. This was always a particular favorite of mine:

Regency
(1790-1800) dress with fichu at the neckline.  The skirt falls tight pleats into a slight sweep along the hemline.

Then looking at more regency dresses it is obvious that though the white dress is what everyone is associating with the era, and smaller prints were all the vougue, larger, flowery prints were not uncommon.

Here is another example: 
fashionsfromhistory:Dress1785-1810Amsterdam Museum #1780s #1790s #1800s #AncienRegimeandGeorgian #FrenchRevolution #18thCentury
(Also from the Amsterdam Museum)

However, most of my historic dresses are blue, I would love to have my flowery dress in blue...
Now, let's see, if I can ind extant examples in blue. 
Here is one from Pinterest:
And another one (pic from Pinterest an extra click would show that it is from teh Gemeentemuseum Den Haag.
Japon, zogenaamde 'robe tunique', van donkerblauw satijn met liseré-effect en gebrocheerde zijden bloemslingers in diverse kleuren, vermaakt uit robe à la française
And here is a last picture that shows that blue flowery dresses did exist...
Dress c. 1810 Wadsworth Athenuem Museum Media: Cotton Credit Line: Costume and Textile Purchase Fund Object ID: 2012.31.2

Now off to find some fabric, and get or make up a pattern. See you all later. 

No comments: