Friday, July 19, 2019

Silk Stockings...for historical wear.

This was not my first venture to the fild of knitting historical stockings, in fact last year I did the Leiden Textil Research Institute's project which aimed to recreate the early 17th century stickings that was found in a shipwreck near the Texel Islands. I made these stockings last year (originally planned to wear it with my regency ball-gown, but I though it would be way too warm), but never gt around to photograph them.
The construction is based on the texel stockings, the back seam is decorated, and the heel is folded. 
 I used silk yarn that is way thicker than the original was knitted with 8and I am still in search for the perfect yarn to knit historical silk stockings with).


The folded and sewn (or three needle bind off) heel. It has a few decreases, so the heel fits better than the pointy one I did on the first one I made.
I believe these stockings would be great to wear with clothes anywhere between the 15th and the 20th century, but it would be best with 17th -18th century clothings.


Me as a stocking modell, LOL... I am wearing my late 15th / very early 16th century Italian noblewoman dress, which is a bit early for the stockings, but what the heck... I finally had the stockings, the background, my feet and my favorite photographer all in one place...
Photoes by Norbert Varga

No comments: