Saturday, January 12, 2013

Second round owls

My first knit last year was a red owl sweater, just for good luck... So I thought it would be fitting to fnish the year with an other one...
Kate Davies's pattern is still great, I can still wholeheartedly suggest it as a first pullover for anyone (or for not the first one for that matter). From a nice thick yarn it can be ready in a few days, even if it took me longer this time because of my exams. But on the morning of this month's knitting meeting I managed to get the buttons on the just slightly damp sweater.
The yarn was hiding away in my stash since about 2007... It was one of my very early e-bay buys, and a disappointment at the time. It looked rather orange on the picture, it was described as "rust", but when it arrived it was just....brown. And way to thick... I didn't know what to do with it, until I was buying buttons for my last years owl sweater and fell in love with these tiny square orange buttons, and bought a pack of it... and the typical case of making a coat to go with the button... I just thought what a great owl eyes tehy would make on a brown sweater... from then it was just the question to dig out the yarn from the very deep satsh...
I've knitted it somewhat bigger than the one last year, which is...umm rather form fitting, and I made higher neckline with wider ribbing. waist shaping is at the sides... Truth to be told, I didn't even looked at the pattern, just measured the thing against the one I made last time.

1 comment:

kristieinbc said...

I love, love, love your owl sweater! I have made one, and like you, I will make it a bit less form fitting if I do it a second time. Isn't it the greatest pattern? I want to do one of the baby owl sweaters this year.