Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Modern turqoise

Now, that I've kinda got over the adrenalin rush (umm, dare I say "succes"???)  of the blue polka dot dress, and that Budapets 150th event, let's get back to... what? Some stuff that I've been meaning to post about for months now.

I wanted to sew modern, "civilian" stuff (that is not-historical) clothes for a while now. 

I used to sew clothes for everyday use a lot, then I knitted a lot more than I sew, and I missed it. 

I started to sew again seriously in 2016, but historical clothes this time, and those enchanted me so much, I did not really had time and energy for much else, but the thought of it would not leave me alone.


Back in the early 2010's, when I was going to the Uni. I had a couple pairs of soft, bubble legged baby-corduroy pants, their style was fun, they were very comfortable, I loved dearly. I used them, until they were threadbare, and I was sorry becase I could not find any replacement for them. That soft, baby corduroy fabric came back into fashion with a venegance last year. I bought some dresses, but though I did looked, no pants in those stores. So I thought, high time for me to try and make some. 

I took out one old pair, that I kept, even though it was threadbare, and way to small these days. but I loved its styling, and started to try and copy and enlarge its the pattern. Then I added a few ideas, I had for a kind of boho, wide, or rather bubble legged pants, like having folds end up at the edge of the pocket, so the pants does not have much ease at the waist, but from the hip it gets agressively wider. Then I thought, I should make a mock up.

Mock ups are the alfas and omegas of historical dressmaking, those dresses of the past were fitted to the hell and back,but such a thing like "useable mock-ups do exist. They are trial pieces, that are made from fabrics that , would the piece turn out okay, could be used, but should it turn out bad, we don't mind the wasted material too much. 

I happen to have quite a few meters of purple cordury (don't ask), and there was one piece that has dark rust colored wrong side.. the fabric -of course- came from I love Textil, it was cheap, but I still don't know what was I thinking. Anyhow, it was perfect for a trial piece. 

Which turned out not bad, but there was space for improvements. It was just a bit short (though that length is still okay for lober boots), and the back inseam's arch looked off. I mean a nice big crease, but if I use a longer sweater, like this Newleaf sweater, the trouble is hidden.

I did changed the length of the legs, and the arch of the inseam, and then looked around for the final fabric. As you know all well, I love colors, and I have a bit of petrol color phase (it started a couple of years ago, before it became real fashion, but I do not mind.).
I have a dress in a color I love, and I also had a piece of corduroy, that was in a bland, grayish blue color, rather boring.... now you know what is coming, right? 
I knew exactly what color I wanted, because I have this piece of linen, I bought last year...
I also had this dress (above that linen), just about the same color.... And I was wondering if I can come up with a petrol that is similar, and seee... I think I was succesful matching. 
Unfortunately, once again, I do not have pictures of the sewing process, but here is the finished pair.

I never really liked zippers... Now, I can sew them in to a skirt, into the opening of a pair of trousers, I can even deal with invisible zippers, still I do not like them. It started with the feeling that they do not go with knitted stuff (handknit sweaters and zippers, just a big NO for me), then it went further with the fact that historical clothes do not use zippers, and they work just fine. 
I always loved buttoned jeans, so I used colorful buttons on these. 
Now I think this is a good base for an everyday boho/lagenlook mixed with handknits style, and I can tweak it if I want, putting different pockets on, more pockets (BUT definetly no less), hidden buttonbands, maybe put the folds giving its width somewhere else, maybe use light, soft jeans with contrasting yarn, so I have a ton of ideas, but in my next post I will show you, just why do I wanted exactly this color. 
See you then. 
Photos, of course, by Norbert Varga @Bodeszphoto
The kolibri T shirt is from Virág Lovizer @ Virágnak Világa.



No comments: