Sunday, July 23, 2023

1840-ies bonnet

 Things are... well as usual for the last few years, busy for summertime. I try to balance, life, love, work, reenactment, clothes, music, concerts and whatnot... 

And sometimes I do fall off the vagon. 

But I do make things... even if I blog about later. Much later... even years later. 

This bonnet is not the latter case, it is actually it is... lets call it medium term. 

I've made it in march, as preparation for the annual round of 1848 events around the annyversary of the revolution. 

I ordered the base straw hat over the internet, bought some light blue ribbon, raided my stash of artificial flowers for some blue and a few white ones, and handdyed a bit of pure silk fabric for lining. 


Since I bought the hat that mostly correct in shape, I didn't had to start with cutting and reshaping it, my "only" job was to decorate it. 
I lined it with my handdyed silk, added some blue lace.
The ribbon decoration is folded with the help of a fork, you can easily find tutorials for that in Pinterest. 

When I asked about historical clothes, I say two things that can define whether what you wear looks like some costume, or something out of the period. No, it is not if you sew it by hand or not, neither is you only use natural dyes, or things in that line. 
For me, it is the right underwear/ understructure, and the accessories. 
While I am pretty good about the underwear, I have a tendency to neglect the accesories, and with this piece (and some others that are planned for the near future, I aim to remedie that. 
 



No comments: