Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Lilac dress

I've made this back in october, and was pondering for months wether to post it or not. 

It was not made for me (obviously), but it was a comission, but it was rather stressful.

Let's not get into details, and take one of the many problems, namely that for a garment as fitted as this, two fitting is just not enough. However that is what I had to work with, so it is kind of a miracle that it came out as well as it actually did. 

I've only made the base dress, the front decoration was put on by the modell's mother.


However, I was rather proud, how it looked, even "raw", not only from the outside, but from the inside as well. I do not know exactly why it is, but I have this urge to make the insides of a garment look pretty. And it isn't only for historical garments, but for modern stuff too. It always gave me satisfaction to find just the right lining, just the right color of zipper, just the right buttons, etc. How can I best finish the inside edges, how can a boning channel be kind of pretty.

Yep, the bottom is hemmed by hem. But the slinky satin I had to work with (instead of the taffeta we agreed on) show stitches a lot more, and the plan was that they will put some decoration on it later. 

No comments: