Saturday, November 14, 2020

Like a Squirel

I've known Ági, who dreamt up the Weaving workshop named Like a Squirrel (referencing an old song, and playing with words like "pattern" in hungarian). We've grew up in the same city, though only met later in yarny, knitting/spinning circles. I feel lucky to be in the first few people who could try out her workshop. 
For a long time I had the thought of making some histporical clothing item from handwoven material, I even had a weak attempt of it, which at the end I cannot cut up
Anyway, it stuck in my mind that one of the looms was threaded to a twill pattern, though Ági wanted to rethread it, because the "crowd" (most of those who wanted to weave there) would preferred a real 4 shaft pattern, so I pushed aside everrything else, and begged Ági to let me weave a few meters 
I went through the yarns I have for weaving, and though I do have an ample stash for weaving (too), but most of it for a scarf worth of amounts.... I went to Rita then, and after careful negotiations I was the proud owner of 330 gramms of 2 ply linen. 
From there there was only weaving to do...

The linen yarn was a bit uneven, here and there.. not real knots, but the fluff stuck together making it thocker at some places, therefore the resulting fabric is kind of rustic. 

At th ened I managet to make  3,6 meter (340 cm after washing) long, 55 cm wide fabric...
The edges are surprisingly even, but I have no idea that is because of the twill weave or the linen yarn....
I will be making a jacket (waistcoat? Doublet?) for my17th century wardrobe, most probably I will embroider it, so, don't hold your breath, it will be a long time project. 
Workshop: MintaMókus szövöde
Thread: Lenfonal

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Its absolutely lovely work. I hope you find a good pattern for the embroidery. This will be beautiful!