Thursday, January 9, 2020

Weekly Superstition?

Le Roman de la Rose. Bodleian, MS. Douce 195. French, late 15th century.

Yesterday I was putting up a post in my (Hungarian language) FB spinning group about St Distaff day, and I remembered, that back, when I was writing that BA thesis on knitting (In the English / American institute of my university no less), I looked into knitting and spinning superstitions. It was not a major point so my research was not very deep, but lately it seems I keep bumping into the topic.  I keep mentioning „The Boyfriend Curse”… Yeah, Xmas times and gift knitting goes hand in hand… so much another blogger have written about it, but his viewpoint is not exactly mine… but then what about the other superstitions? There are a ton of them concerning spinning, knitting weaving or sewing… Do we know them? What if I would explore them here one by one? Knowing myself I cannot promise that it will be a weekly column, but I will try and bring a superstition, and maybe my thoughts about it here. You could even tell me what do you think and we can talk…  What do you think? What should be the first one?

No comments: