Saturday, October 5, 2019

Regency or Napolenic / Jane Austen era daydress project - part 3 : A note on underwear

I already mentioned, that any historical ensemble the foundation is very important. The dress can look as beautiful as wever, if the boobs are not at the place, the butts are not the size, the waist is not the circumference as the fashion of the era demands, it will just hang off from us. (Like underpants on a cow - as we say in Hungarian. Not only dressing,. but making the dress should start at the foundations. Unless we already have the foundations.
About one and half years ago, before the ball at the beginning of the summer I already made these stuff. I made not one but two sets of chemise and drawers (having no pants us not such a big error, they started to become known again around this time, I wear them mostly for comfort reasosns). And if I have to have them, they can be pretty HA. I have shown them HERE.
I aso made a pair of stays. Yes I know, many thinks that clothes of this period were lighter and looser, they even threw away their stays, but that is not true. Its main task, and its shape changed, In this era, the emphasis was not on thinnes, and pulling in the waistline was the main goal, but pushing up the boobs. 
Image result for regency bustline
This is a fairly good illustration showing the normal and the desired placement
I also made a bodiced petticoat of which the upper part should smooth the lines of the stays, and the skirt, which being a skirt should hold out the dress' skirt, so I even sewn a line of cord in it. 
Since I already had these item, I could start direcctly with the dress.
Until next time :-) 

No comments: