Monday, April 21, 2008

Knitting, knitting, knitting...


It's been always around me. Both of them. My mom was a knitter. I always remember her sitting down and knitting. She said she learned it from a classmate of hers, a boy at that... I didn't learned the basics from her. She was left handed and to teach a right handed child from the very basics, required more patience than she had...
It was my grandma who taught me the basic chain stitch with the crochet hook and took pity on me when I tried to make a fabric out of my chain by randomly putting the hook into the chain (would that be freeform crochet these days?), and thaught me the basics of knitting and crocheting. And the feeling of boredom whent away forever. I do not say that I've been knitting nonstop ever since. But I always had something to do with my hands. Knitting, crocheting, beads, sewing, quilting, just to name the main things...and whenever I pick up the pointy sticks I feel so close to my mom, my grandma, and even my greatgrandma whom I never met. Ladies up there...I miss you!!!

No comments: