Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Weekly SO (about the "deadly" Zara pants)

There are articles (and tiktoks, youtubeshorts and whatnot) about these pants (and wide legged pants in general). I've already seen mentions of them this week, but this article popped up in my feed. I know it is in Hungarian, so here are some similars in English (Here and here).

Anyhow, they are all about how dangerous these wide legged pants are, and how many people suffered injuries while wearing them....

Now, I've been wearing wide legged pants for decades, I always loved them, and always preferred them, even when very thight trousers were in the height of fashion. 

Never ever did I fall in them, I've only caught my feel in their leg once or twice (and that was decades ago). They are not more dangerous than -let's say- a long skirt, and like with long skirts, you have to learn how to wear them. 

In fashion history every period, every time has its excesses, people doing things in excess. Its not the fashion that is the proplem, but overdoing it.

Its not the corset, but when you overthighten it. Its not the high heels, but when they are way too high, way too thing, way too... Its not the wide legged pants, but when they are too filmsy, when they are too long. 

These commercial, ready to wear clothes (especially in fast fashion) usually designed to at least 180 cm tall, 50 kg twentysomething girls, no wonder, that they are way too long for an average (160-170 cm) tall women, and their feet get caught in them. However, we do not know/practice getting these clothes fitted to our body. 

I never wore high heels, nor do I wear (much) manmade fibers), and my problem with commercial wide legged trousers, that they are not wide enough. 

No comments: