Sunday, October 20, 2024

Failure

Back in April, I was wondering, if I should do a Stashbusting year or not...

I pretty quickly realized, that I cannot do that for fabric, but then, how about for yarn? 

I failed that one too. 

I was pretty good until about a month ago, I only bought two 50 gramms ball of sockyarn, which I immediately cast on, and though it took me a fairly long time, I finished. Then admittedly, I've knitted fairly little, as I turned to other crafts, embroidering, lacemaking, etc, and then there was the summer form hell, when I could only concentrate on surviving. 

Still, I have not bought yarn, while I finished the new year's sweater, cast on for a sweater from DROPS's Soft Tweed, that, by now, only missing the bottom half of its body, knitted a few historical knee high stocking, planned out sweaters with stripes and stranded patterns to use up more of that gigantic sock yarn stash.

And then I had to go to a store literally next door where my favorite second hand yarn store is. Up until that day, I managed to avoid even the area, but I had no choice. You guessed it right. I went in and failed my reserve miserably. Found some yarns, that were screaming to come home with me. 


One skein is missing from the picture, because I immediately cast on a cardigan, I planned for years, and I am using that as a contrast/pattern color. 

And then I had to go to that part of the city again... Oops. 


Looking at the yarns I bought lately (meaning as a souvenir yarn from the Netherlands last fall) I am kind of into the green/blue thing.
Though, that green would go well to another ball: 
The lighter purple would be a cool contrast/pattern color for something stranded...
Or that purple would be good as a toe/heel/cuff color for this other skein:
The three skein of brown will be a knee high stocking the gray is always a good base, and then, here is this one. 
Look closer. Yes, it IS a sock yarn, but it is shiny. There is one strand of shiny purplish color in it.
I would not use it for socks, obviously, but then, what for? 

A striped shawl comes to mind, or a cardigan, with a striped yoke/raglan shoulder, in both case I would probably use a pearly gray sock yarn...or a kidsilk type of yarn as a base.
What do you think? Any ideas? Suggestions? Not just for the shiny sock-íarn, but for the others?

No comments: