Thursday, March 21, 2024

Fluffy, white underthingies...

 Because that is what I've sewn in the last couple of weeks... and not even for myself. 

Since they were made more like work, I was trying to keep track of time, thus didn't really made photoes while making them (except for one short video-clip, but you will see that, somewhere below.

If you ever talked to me about historical clothes, you already know that I am a firm believer of the underwear matters principle. And while I do make concessions sometimes. Even though I have knitted quite a number of historical stockings, I do wear modern cotton knee high sockings for most events, sometimes I wear a modern tank top under my corsets, but from the very first time I paid attention to underwear (too). 

This time I was asked to make a set to wear under an 1870-ies dress, so...

A chemise was made, from the combination of a plain cotton, and embroidered batist.

Decorated with a bit of lace, a blue ribbon, and pintucks. (I absolutely adore pintucks, and totally do not mind doing them).
Then open crotch drawers:
Since it is a sett, the same fabric-combination, same lace and ribbon, and similar pintucks.

Then the bustle, a grand bustle very similar to mine:
This is the same fabric-combo, plain cotton, somewhat stonger and thicker than the one I used for the chemise and the drawers, but the same embroidered batist for the ruffles.
Finally, petticoat to cover the bustle:

Pintucks galore:
Then I turned about to a period of 20-25 years earlier, as I was asked to do a corded petticoat and a ruffled petticoat to wear under an existing early victorian dress.
When was it, when I said, that ever since I do historical clothes I do at least one (sometimes more) corded petticoat? This year was no different either.
Yippie, an actual photo of making the thing...
And on its new owner.
Last, but not least, a really fluffy, ruffled petticoat to give even more volume to that dress.
And here is me, hemming all those miles and miles of ruffles...

As much as I love white as a color (even though it is not actually a color, but let's not get into that theory), also love it in clothes, by the timeI finished with everything, I was really, really wishing for something else. Black, maybe? 




No comments: