Tuesday, January 24, 2017

New Year's sweater

I am playing this game I learned from Angela, for several years now. Since they say, what you do on the first day of the year, you are likely to do a lot of it in the coming year as well, so it is best to spend it with something we like.... in my case this is obsiously spinning and knitting, so it is not that difficult to join Angela's new year lucky sweater project. 
You might even remember the "rules" I set up for myself: as the very first ting I do in the new year, I start a new sweater, and until it is finished (no matter how many projects I have in progress, or whether I have something to do on a deadline) I do not knit on anything else. AND, since red is the lucky color for the chinese, my new year's sweater is red as well.. 
This year I made one other extra step, I spun the yarn, I wanted to knit with. I carded a bunch od different shades from orange through red to purple, mostly merni and south american / Falkland wool, and one part of red bamboo.
Since I wanted to put the emphasis on teh yarn itself, I selected the simplest possible pattern. I started out with DROPS's Take it easy sweater. However, after separating the body and the sleeves, I went after my own head.
As usual added waist shaping, and I knitted it as long as my yarn let me. Also it got a pretty wide garter stitch edging on the sleeves and at the waistline.
I have spun a fair amount of yarn in teh past few years, I even used them for knitted shawls, scarves, a mitten, and I wove with my handspun, but this is the first item I can actually wear.
 I have to admit, I was enchanted with the yarn, while knitting, the tiny changes in its color, thickness, sometimes even the twist, at each stitch...
Photoes: Christopher Laurent Deli.

No comments: